Friday, March 20, 2009

Singing

I embarrassed my self today at lunch. I was eating my delicious slice of Bravos pizza and was singing to myself. I guess I was a little loud, because this very nice older lady told me , in not the nicest language you could use, to close my yapper. Yes she said yapper, among other french words! I was really shocked. First of all, by this seemingly sweet blue haired woman profanely expressing herself, and second of all by the fact that she did not approve of my chortling. I thought that my rendition Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from the Tony Award winning musical Les Miserables was quite good. Now I know that type of music doesn't suit everyone's taste, but c'mon! That's a good song! And what is this phobia that people have about singing in public? I have started to sing aloud and I get looks from people like I have three heads or four legs! I believe, if you have a song to sing, belt it out! Of course there is the occasional place where propriety is needed, weddings, funerals, state dinners, public trials, but otherwise I think everyone needs to sing out loud at least once a day. My daughter thinks nothing of, at the top of her lungs, singing one of the many worships songs she hears at home, while out in public with us. And I say, more power to her. Let loose that happiness on an unsuspecting grump in the shampoo aisle! Bust out that fire hose of joy, and spray it all over the four cranky old people next to us at Bob Evans! I would rather hear someone singing than someone screaming in my ear! Maybe that's the answer. I will first scream my guts out in a crowded place. That way when I commence to singing, nobody will mind.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what that lady was thinking, Jason. I think your singing is therapeutic. It sounds like your daughter has your pipes, eh? Be blessed and I miss you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is something I can relate too. I would rather see a mom's face turn red from embarrassment because her 3 year old daughter is singing her own version of Mary had a Little Lamb then to see that same mothers face turn red from frustration because her daughter is screaming her lungs out due to anger!

    I say keep singing whatever song you feel necessary!!!

    ReplyDelete